First Aid Precautions for Hepatitis B, HIV/AIDS and Other Blood-Borne Viruses - HE4264
Precautions for health workers when dealing with blood or body fluid from patients with HIV, AIDS, hepatitis and other blood-borne viruses (for health professionals only).
The full resource:
Use these precautions for every person:
- Wash your hands before and after treatment for cuts and abrasions.
- Cover all cuts on your hands with waterproof dressings before treating.
- Avoid skin contact with blood and body fluids.
- Use disposable gloves if skin contact with blood or blood fluid is likely. Use paper towels to clean up blood or body fluids.
- Soiled surfaces must be disinfected with household bleach. Use one part bleach to ten parts water. Ideally, bleach should be in contact with the surface for half an hour.
- Place contaminated material, including gloves, in a plastic bag for safe disposal.