Easy meals with vegetables: Eggplant - NPA203
The "Easy meals with vegetables" series show basic storage, preparation and cooking techniques for common vegetables. They are useful to those running introductory cooking classes, in vegetable co-op boxes and for use in healthy lifestyle programmes.
The full resource:
October to April.
Blemish free and firm to touch.
In the vegetable bin in the fridge.
- Remove the top.
- Cut in half.
- Slice into discs.
- Roughly chop into cubes.
Meatballs with summer ratatouille (serves 4)
- 500g mince
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- ¼ cup dry breadcrumbs
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggplants, roughly diced
- 2 onions, roughly diced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- ¼ cup oil
- 1½ cups diced tomatoes
- 2 courgettes, roughly diced
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 pita breads
- Heat oven to 200°C. Mix mince, tomato sauce, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper together. Shape the mixture into balls and refrigerate.
- Put the eggplant, onions, and garlic in a roasting dish. Add oil and toss the vegetables to coat. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Take vegetables out of the oven and add tomatoes, courgettes and vinegar. Place the meatballs on top.
- Return to the oven and cook for 20 minutes. Serve the meatballs and ratatouille with warm pita bread.
This resource is for digital download only.