Easy meals with vegetables: Green beans - NPA223
The "Easy meals with vegetables" series show basic storage, preparation and cooking techniques for common vegetables. They are useful to those running introductory cooking classes, in vegetable co-op boxes and for use in healthy lifestyle programmes.
The full resource:
Fresh NZ beans are usually available from summer to autumn. Use frozen when fresh are not available.
Fresh and tender beans which make a snapping sound when broken.
In the vegetable bin in the fridge.
- Slice the tops off.
- Slice across the bean into bite-sized pieces.
- Cut diagonally into bite-sized pieces.
Green bean salad (serves 4)
- 2 cups green beans, sliced
- 1 can four bean mix, drained and rinsed
- 1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 capsicum, diced
- ½ red onion, diced finely
- ½ cup parsley, chopped finely
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 French bread stick, sliced into 12 slices, or 4 slices of toast bread, sliced in half (optional)
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and cook green beans for 2 minutes. Drain and cool under cold running water, set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, mix together the four bean mix, chickpeas, capsicum, red onion, parsley, green beans, vinegar and oil.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve as a salad or on top of toasted bread.
This resource is for digital download only.