Easy meals with vegetables: Kūmara - NPA175
The "Easy meals with vegetables" series show basic storage, preparation and cooking techniques for common vegetables. They are useful to those running introductory cooking classes, in vegetable co-op boxes and for use in healthy lifestyle programmes.
The full resource:
All year round. Red, orange or golden kūmara.
Choose kūmara that are firm with unbroken skin.
In a cool, dark cupboard.
Scrub well and remove any small roots, peel if required.
Diced or grated, sliced, peeled, chopped into wedges
Savoury vegetables and mince (serves 4)
- 500 grams mince
- 2 cups grated kūmara
- 1 can (400grams) tomatoes, or 4 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon stock powder
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups sliced silverbeet
- To serve: extra kūmara, diced parsley, chopped
- Brown mince in a large saucepan.
- Add the kūmara, tomatoes, onion, water and stock powder. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add peas and silverbeet and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve with diced, boiled, red and orange kūmara and parsley.
This resource is for digital download only.