Easy meals with vegetables: Leek - NPA229
The "Easy meals with vegetables" series show basic storage, preparation and cooking techniques for common vegetables. They are useful to those running introductory cooking classes, in vegetable co-op boxes and for use in healthy lifestyle programmes.
The full resource:
All year round. Limited supply from November to February.
Choose medium stems with fresh green tops and lots of white stem.
In the vegetable bin in the fridge.
- Wash to remove any soil.
- Slice off the root end.
Cut in half.
- Cut into even lengths.
- Slice stems and leaves.
Leek and lemon risotto (serves 4)
- 6 cups water
- 2 stock cubes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 leek, washed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup short grain rice (risotto rice)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a pot boil the water. Add the stock cubes. In a separate pot, heat the oil and gently cook the leeks and garlic until soft.
- Increase the heat and add the rice to the leeks. Continue to cook for 2 minutes. Then add 1 cup of stock.
- Once the stock is absorbed, add the next cup. Continue to add until the rice is cooked and has a thick consistency.
- Add the lemon zest and juice and stir through. Serve.
This resource is for digital download only.