Easy meals with vegetables: Mince - NPA192
The Easy meals with vegetables series show basic storage, preparation and cooking techniques for common vegetables. They are useful to those running introductory cooking classes, in vegetable co-op boxes and for use in healthy lifestyle programmes.
The full resource:
‘Lean’ or ‘prime’ mince are usually lower fat choices.
Store mince covered in the refrigerator.
- Place the mince in the frying pan.
- Cook the mince until brown.
- Drain the fat from the pan and throw away.
Tip Place a little oil in the frying pan and heat before adding the mince.
- Bolognese sauce
Cottage pie (serves 4)
- 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped or grated
- 500 grams beef mince
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 courgettes, finely chopped or grated
- 1 can chopped tomatoes or 4 tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- ¼ cup grated cheese (optional)
- Parsley for garnishing
- Boil the potatoes until soft. Drain and add the milk, then mash.
- Heat oil, onions and carrots in a pan. Cook for 5 – 10 minutes. Add the mince and brown.
- Add mushrooms, courgettes, tomatoes, water and tomato sauce. Mix and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Place mince mixture in a baking dish. Spread potato over the top, sprinkle with
cheese. Bake at 200°C for 20 – 30 minutes.
This resource is for digital download only.