Easy meals with vegetables: Onions - NPA219
The "Easy meals with vegetables" series show basic storage, preparation and cooking techniques for common vegetables. They are useful to those running introductory cooking classes, in vegetable co-op boxes and for use in healthy lifestyle programmes.
The full resource:
All year round.
Choose onions with firm flesh and dry papery outer skins.
Red, brown and white onions are available.
In a cool, dark place with good air flow.
- Whole brown onion.
- Cut the top and root off the onion. Cut as close as you can to the onion root.
- Cut the onion through the middle.
- Peel off the papery layers and discard.
- Lay the onion flat on a board.
- Hold the root end and cut vertically through the onion.
- Hold the slices firmly together and cut down across them.
- Cut close together for a fine dice or further apart for a large dice.
Bean sprout, onion and cabbage fritters (serves 4)
- 8 eggs
- 2 onions, diced finely
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 cups bean sprouts
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded finely
- 1 cup cooked meat, diced finely (optional)
- 4 tablespoons oil
- Mix together the eggs, onions, flour and bean sprouts.
- Add the cabbage and meat. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Spoon a quarter of the mixture into the middle of the pan.
- Cook slowly on each side until golden brown and cooked through. Serve.
This resource is for digital download only.