Easy meals with vegetables: Eggs - poached - NPA197
The "Easy meals with vegetables" series show basic storage, preparation and cooking techniques for common vegetables. They are useful to those running introductory cooking classes, in vegetable co-op boxes and for use in healthy lifestyle programmes.
The full resource:
Eggs - poached
All year round.
Check each egg inside the carton.
Eggs should be clean and free from cracks.
In the fridge.
- Half fill a pot with water.
Add about 1 tablespoon vinegar per litre of water.
- Bring the water to boil. Reduce the heat until simmering.
- Carefully crack the egg into a cup.
- Slowly slide the egg into simmering water.
Allow the egg white to set around the yolk. The egg should float to the top when the white is set.
Use a large spoon to remove the egg from the water, drain.
- Serve on wholemeal toast or steamed seasonal vegetables.
Chilli beans with eggs (serves 4)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 can chilli beans
- 1 can chopped tomatoes or 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 green capsicum, sliced
- 4 eggs
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add chopped onion and cook until soft.
- Add chilli beans, tomatoes, corn and capsicum and cook until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Make 4 holes in the mixture and break an egg into each.
- Cover with a lid and cook over low heat until the eggs are cooked, 7-10 minutes. Serve with brown rice.
This resource is for digital download only.