Easy meals with vegetables: Spinach - NPA200
The "Easy meals with vegetables" series show basic storage, preparation and cooking techniques for common vegetables. They are useful to those running introductory cooking classes, in vegetable co-op boxes and for use in healthy lifestyle programmes.
The full resource:
All year round.
Choose crisp green leaves with no damage.
In plastic bags in the fridge.
- Remove the ends.
- Rinse well.
- Remove the stems.
- Slice leaves roughly or finely.
- Stirred into stew
Sardines, spinach and tomatoes on toast (serves 4)
- 1 bag or 3 bunches spinach leaves
- 1 can sardines
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 slices wholemeal toast
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pepper to taste
- Wash the spinach, break off ends and discard. Place in a saucepan with a little water over a high heat with lid for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and drain well – squeezing the water out with the back of a spoon. Once drained, roughly chop and season.
- Drain the sardines and mash with vinegar. Mix the diced tomato with lemon juice.
- Place spinach, mashed sardines and tomatoes on toast. Sprinkle with more pepper.
This resource is for digital download only.