Easy meals with vegetables: Sweetcorn - NPA199
The "Easy meals with vegetables" series show basic storage, preparation and cooking techniques for common vegetables. They are useful to those running introductory cooking classes, in vegetable co-op boxes and for use in healthy lifestyle programmes.
The full resource:
January to April.
Corn with fresh green husks (outer leaves) and yellow to light brown tassels (inner strands).
The darker the tassel, the riper the corn.
The kernels should be fat and juicy.
In the vegetable bin in the fridge.
- Remove the tassel from whole corn cobs.
- Place into boiling water for 2 minutes, with or without husks.
- Slice off the top and remove the husks.
- Use a sharp knife to remove the kernels from the cob.
- Cut off the cob and added to salad
Corn fritters (serves 4)
- 4 corn cobs, cooked or 2 cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 capsicum, finely chopped (optional)
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Remove the corn kernels from the cob.
- Place corn, capsicum, eggs, flour, and baking powder in a bowl.
- Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Spoon 2 tablespoons of mixture into pan to form fritters. Cook in batches until browned on each side.
This resource is for digital download only.