Easy meals with vegetables: Watercress - NPA230
The "Easy meals with vegetables" series show basic storage, preparation and cooking techniques for common vegetables. They are useful to those running introductory cooking classes, in vegetable co-op boxes and for use in healthy lifestyle programmes.
The full resource:
All year round with the most plentiful supply from May to December.
Choose clean crisp leaves.
In a container in the fridge or with the stems submerged in cold water.
- Wash well under running water.
- Leaves and stems.
Can be substituted with:
- Puha/sour thistle
Boil-up (serves 4)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 lamb shoulder chops, fat trimmed
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 kūmara, peeled and chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 cups watercress or puha
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the meat and brown on each side. Add the onions and carrots, cook until the onions are soft.
- Add the kūmara, potato and vinegar to the pot. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 1½ -2 hours or until the meat is tender and vegetables are cooked. Skim the fat off the top regularly.
- Add watercress or puha just before the end of cooking. Serve.
This resource is for digital download only.