Easy meals with vegetables: Beetroot - NPA214
The "Easy meals with vegetables" series show basic storage, preparation and cooking techniques for common vegetables. They are useful to those running introductory cooking classes, in vegetable co-op boxes and for use in healthy lifestyle programmes.
The full resource:
All year round. Most plentiful November-April.
Roots should be smooth with a firm skin.
Red and golden beetroot are available.
In the vegetable bin in the fridge.
- Wash to remove the soil.
- Remove the tops and root end.
- Peel the beetroot.
- Grate the beetroot raw.
Beetroot, carrot and apple salad (serves 4)
- 2 large beetroot, peeled and grated
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 apples, grated
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Toss the grated beetroot, carrot and apple together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix the orange juice, oil, paprika and cumin. Make sure there are
- Pour the dressing over the salad.
- Mix well. Serve in a bread roll or as a side salad with cooked meat.
This resource is for digital download only.